Blogging has become a crucial component in successful content marketing. Blogs are an excellent way to share your expertise and opinion with the world, while building credibility. The potential for blogging is vast as it can be used for so many different purposes; from having a voice on social media to creating your own e-commerce website!
In the world of blogging, one can never be too careful when it comes to choosing a platform. There are so many platforms out there that seem like they would work well for your blog, but how do you know which one is right for you?
In this article we will take a look at 10 popular blogging platforms and compare their features to help make sure that you get the best possible experience.
In this blog post, we’ll be discussing the merits of these popular blogging platforms.
Choosing The Best Blogging Platform – Key Features?
Before beginning a search for the right blogging platform, there are several considerations to keep in mind.
The perfect choice will be cost-effective, straightforward to set up and use, visually appealing with plenty of formatting tools and widgets, and ideal for beginners without advanced coding skills.
You’ll have to consider what kind of blog you would prefer in the long-term. In addition, you should think about which blogging platform is the best choice for your needs now and that will grow with your needs as time goes on.
When starting a blog, it's important to choose the right blogging platform. Blogs evolve as they grow and you need one that can accommodate those changes so you don't get bogged down by problems with your setup later on.
Finally, it’s worth noting that even if you don't plan to make money blogging right now, it's wise to find a blog platform with the potential for monetization in the future.
As such, let's look at 10 of today's premier options and discuss their features.
Blogger is a free blogging service that does not require any HTML knowledge. The interface for the platform is user-friendly and easy to use.
Blogger was first launched by Pyra Labs in 1999 and has been around for over 20 years now. It's still popular among bloggers because of its ease of use, affordability, and lack of training required.
Blogger is a free blogging platform with few limitations. With your Google account, you can start a free blog on Blogger with only minutes of effort.
- Blogger is a cost-effective option.
- It’s easy to use and fast even if you are not technical.
- Google’s secure platform and reliability help make it a standout among blogging platforms.
- You only have access to basic blogging tools, and can’t add any new features.
- Blogger makes it easy to customize your blog, but design options are limited with only a few templates available.
- Blogger is updated infrequently and does not receive new features very often.
- Google can suspend your blog account or cancel the Blogger service at any time.
Blogger is free and easy to use (unless you want a custom domain name).
WordPress.org is the world’s most popular blog publishing platform. More than 39% of all websites on the internet are powered by WordPress technical blogs, according to a self-evaluation request in 2006.
WordPress.org is a free, self-hosted blogging platform that you can use to build your website or blog within minutes.
It has many features which make it great for beginners and professionals alike: a customizable layout with built-in SEO options, quality themes and design templates to suit different niches, easy installation on any hosting provider
- WordPress.org lets you customize every detail of your website.
- When creating your blog, you have the option to extend it with features like forums or online stores. WordPress has many of these features and often people use it for advertising purposes.
- WordPress offers a variety of free themes to choose from, so you are able to customize your site.
- You can also discover more than 58,000 free plugins with WordPress like the contact form plugin.
- WordPress is the most search engine friendly blogging platform. WordPress makes it easy to produce highly SEO-friendly URLs, categories and tags for posts. Furthermore, there are a number of useful SEO plugins that can enhance your content.
- Managing your own website requires time and effort.
- You’re responsible for managing your own backups and security.
WordPress software is free to download with a few caveats. Namely, you will need a domain name and Web hosting service before you can start writing.
Squarespace is a website building service that offers an easy drag and drop design interface. Squarespace is designed for small business owners looking to easily create a website.
- Squarespace is a blank canvas that can be as simple or complicated as you want it to be.
- It has some of the most beautiful templates on the market.
- Squarespace's domain name features include SSL and HTTPS.
Squarespace’s proprietary platform does not provide a number of features that other blogging platforms include.
Integrations with third-party services is limited to a select few
Squarespace offers a range of pricing plans for both websites and online stores.
The Personal website plan starts at $16/month, or $12/month if you pay for a 12-month subscription.
Business plan pricing is from $26/month, or $18/month on the annual payment plan..
Online stores are priced from $26/month and at the top end of their plans, it's $40/month.
Some users end up switching from Squarespace to WordPress to lower their costs and add more features on their sites.
4. Gator by HostGator
The Gator platform allows bloggers to create a wide range of content on their own website using easy-to-use tools.
Do not confuse Gator builder with HostGator website hosting. The two are unrelated and will only serve to confuse you.
If you are looking for a platform other than WordPress, then Gator is the perfect option.
- Build your blog website with the best drag and drop builder ever.
- The initial setup is incredibly simple.
- HostGator is the easiest, most trustworthy way to get started with a new blog and have all aspects managed by them.
- All plans include a free domain and SSL certificate.
- With just a few clicks, your blog can have an online store.
- They have a 45-day money back guarantee, but it is not free.
- Ecommerce features are only available within higher priced plans.
- Limited quantity of apps and extensions.
The Starter plan costs $3.6/month and includes a few key features like a free domain and SSL certificate.
Tumblr is a blogging platform that includes social networking features. Follow other blogs, reblog them, and share via the built-in toolkit.
- The platform has an integrated social media component.
- A free blogging platform.
- Tumblr allows its users to quickly blog text, images, videos, and audio formats.
- None of the themes can offer additional functionality.
- Tumblr has a limited feature-set that that you can't upgrade.
- Migrating your Tumblr blog to a different platform can be tricky.
It's free to use.
WordPress.com is a blog hosting service offered by Automattic, WordPress.org’s parent company.
WordPress.com offers free basic blog hosting, as well as a multitude of other hosting options including paying for customized domains and storage.
WordPress is a blogging platform that is less advanced than self-hosted WordPress.com but easy to use and great for beginners with little knowledge of HTML or CSS because it doesn’t require coding.
- Straightforward to use and easy to manage.
- No setup needed.
- The cost of this one is free if you’re happy with a WordPress.com subdomain.
- Your blog accounts may be banned for violating the terms and conditions of your host.
- Limitations to customizing your blog. There is no ability to use customized themes or plugins for designing your blog.
- You cannot run commercials on your blog; WordPress.com instead shows their ads on your free website.
WordPress.com is a free blog, but has branding.
WordPress.com lets you buy your website’s URL, a custom domain and removes their branding for $4/month.
The $8/month is a great deal for extra storage and design tools.
Medium (launched in 2012) is a content sharing website that allows people to share their ideas, insights, and expertise.
Medium is one of the most popular blogging platforms on earth.
- It provides you with a network of other bloggers in the same field.
- Medium does not require any installation or coding skills to get started.
- You don't have to worry about design.
- Your audience is owned by Medium, if you decide to move platform, you lose all your followers.
- Limited features for design or building a brand.
- Even if you have your own domain name, you cannot use it for a Medium blog.
- Your blog cannot run ads to make money.
Wix offers hosted platforms to build websites with a drag & drop website builder. You can add the Wix Blog app to your site for content that will create more engaging pages, attract visitors, and convert them into leads or customers.
Founded in 2006, Wix.com allows anyone to create their own stunning website with no coding skills required. There are currently over 110 million users across the globe.
- Setup is fast and painless.
- You've got plenty of templates and third-party apps at your disposal.
- No coding experience is required to build a site with easy drag and drop tools.
- Users of the free account are limited in features and functionality, and are also branded with Wix adverts. Free third party apps are limited.
- Choosing a template to start your blog can be tricky, but once you choose one it cannot be changed!
- Paid plans are required for any features related to ecommerce.
The basic Wix website builder is free to use. With a free account, you’ll receive a Wix subdomain that looks like this: https://username.wixsite.com/example
The domain costs $4.50/month and the premium plans start at $8.50/month to $24.50 monthly, depending on your needs.
Ghost is a blogging platform with many features that focus on writing blog posts. Ghost has a hosted service or you can install the software on your own server.
- Ghost is all about writing/blogging.
- The most noticeable thing about this blogging platform is its clean and uncluttered user interface.
- The hosted version requires zero setup.
- It's very fast.
- You cannot customize the template with your own app.
- The site can't be customized to match personal style.
- The self-hosted option involves a complex installation and setup procedure.
- The simplicity of Ghost means there are few options.
The self-hosted version needs a custom domain and web hosting, with the price varying depending on the provider.
The hosted version for 2 staff users starts at $29/month.
10. Constant Contact Website Builder
Constant Contact Website Builder is a free blog or business website creator that allows you to create your online platform in minutes.
It has the largest templates assortment and offers a drag and drop system to customize your website design. It also includes other helpful tools such as a logo maker, an online store, and access to high quality stock photos.
- You build your blog through inventive and varied templates that require no coding abilities or knowledge to use, regardless of what you’ve planned ahead of time for your content.
- Constant Contact is a great choice for the Non-tech savvy folks out there. You can have your blog up and running in no time, as Constant Contact will host it for you!
- All Blogging plans include a free SSL certificate.
- 60 day trial to try out the service.
- Limited integrations
- The number of third-party plugins, and support for them, is small.
- Exporting your site from Constant Contact website builder to another platform is difficult and time-consuming.
Constant Contact offers more than just a blog, and there's no better way to find out which parts of their service are worth its monthly fee than with their 60 day free trial.
The $10 per month Web Builder Plus plan gives you a custom domain, free SSL certificate and 24/7 phone based support.
Constant Contact would be more than sufficient for most small businesses thanks to the wide variety of features that come with it.
Our choice for 2021's Best Blogging Platform
There are many blogging platforms to choose from, but we believe that WordPress is the best option.
WordPress impresses on all fronts, it is extremely popular with more themes and plugins than any other platform, its UI is easy to use and together with caching plugins and the use of CDNs it is high performing and scalable.